Black History Month is a time to celebrate the achievements and contributions of Black individuals throughout history. At The Vault Virtual Reality Center, we believe in promoting diversity and inclusiveness in all aspects of life. That’s why we’ve put together this list of fun activities for you to enjoy during Black History Month with your family and friends, while also learning about some of the most impactful Black historical figures.
The purpose of this article is to highlight the significance of Black History Month and offer fun things to do for families and groups in celebration of this important occasion.
The Vault is a virtual reality center that offers a wide range of virtual reality experiences in the form of escape rooms, free roam arena, multiplayer and single player games, making it a fun and unique group activity for families and friends to enjoy together.
Who are some Black historical figures?
Who fought for Black History Month?
Carter G. Woodson, widely recognized as the father of Black history, and the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH) played a crucial role in advocating for the recognition and celebration of Black history. Woodson, a historian and educator, believed that Black history was an important part of American history and should be studied and acknowledged. He established the ASALH in 1915 with the goal of promoting and preserving the study of Black history and culture. Through their tireless efforts, Woodson and the ASALH paved the way for the establishment of Black History Month, which has since become a time to celebrate and honor the contributions of Black individuals to our society. The impact of their advocacy continues to be felt today, as their legacy inspires future generations to continue to study and appreciate the rich history of Black culture.
Who are some Black heroes?
- Harriet Tubman, who led hundreds of enslaved people to freedom through the Underground Railroad
- Martin Luther King Jr., a civil rights leader who fought for racial equality through nonviolence
- Nelson Mandela, a former South African President who fought against apartheid and promoted reconciliation
- Rosa Parks, a civil rights activist who refused to give up her seat on a bus, sparking the Montgomery Bus Boycott
Who are some great Black leaders?
- Barack Obama, the first Black President of the United States
- Angela Davis, a political activist and scholar
- Maya Angelou, a poet, author, and civil rights activist
- Toni Morrison, a Nobel Prize-winning author
- Colin Powell, the first Black Secretary of State
Ways to Have Fun on Black History Month
At The Vault Virtual Reality Center, we offer a wide range of virtual reality experiences for families and groups to enjoy together. Here are some fun things to do for Black History Month:
- Visit our virtual reality center for a family fun and group activity
- Step into the shoes of influential Black figures in a virtual reality experience
- Immerse yourself in a virtual cultural festival or celebration
- Cook traditional Black dishes in a virtual reality experience and learn about their cultural significance
- Participate in virtual community service projects that support the Black community
- Host a virtual game or trivia night centered on Black history and culture
- Join virtual discussions on current issues facing the Black community
History Through Virtual Reality
Using historical photographs and film, narration from Civil Rights participants, and a virtually constructed environment, players are put in the middle of the Memphis Sanitation Worker’s Strike and events leading to the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.– wilsoncenter.org
“I Am A Man” is a perfect virtual reality experience to try this black history month! Created by Associate Professor and Department Head Derek Ham, Assistant Professor of Graphic Design at North Carolina State’s College of Design, I Am A Man is a virtual reality experience created in 2018 that transports players back to 1968 and the Civil Rights movement. (https://www.wilsoncenter.org/blog-post/games-round-black-history-month-2021)
Black History Month is a time to reflect on the contributions of Black individuals and to celebrate their achievements. At The Vault Virtual Reality Center, we are proud to offer a unique and fun way to experience Black history and culture through virtual reality. Book your virtual reality experience today and celebrate Black History Month with family and friends in a new and exciting way!
Click HERE to book your Black History Month family activity!